Sunday 20 July 2014

Marina Lewycka


I only had to read "Two Caravans" to realise that Marina Lewycka was a great writer. I picked it up, and didn't put it down until I had finished, feeling like I had gone on an incredible adventure. I'm not sure what I liked so much. The story and characters were lovely and realistic (with a hint of almost zaniness to some of it), but most importantly, it was her writing that really touched me.

When I read the last paragraph, and closed the book, gently placing it on my lap, the first thing I thought was, "Wow. She really knows how to do an ending", and to be honest, she has not disappointed me in all her books I have read since. She doesn't give you too much or too little, but the perfect amount. And I think that this is a quality that is quite often hard to find.

I had to trek all over Sydney to find her other books for borrowing which so far includes "A Short History Of Tractors In Ukrainian", "We Are All Made Of Glue", and "Various Pets Alive And Dead".

From the start, I instantly became involved in beautiful Ukraine (though her novels are not set there, a lot of the various characters call it their birthplace or home). While there seems to be turmoil and strife there following the events with Russia, I can really see the appeal, not to say that she doesn't have her problems.

So far, I haven't written about her, because I am not sure what to write, other than that she is brilliant. I find it much easier to engage with authors and their works if I feel cold or lukewarm, rather than boiling hot.

Her stories are beautifully composed, displaying a world that sits on a fine line between the real and surreal. While not other-worldly, her stories take the more interesting aspects of life alone (or perhaps her tone just makes the dull incredibly fascinating), showing honest characters (even while being deceitful).

I am given the impression that perhaps this is what all our life stories would be like if only we opened up a little more, to our neighbours, family, or momentary strangers, and got swept along in their adventures instead of just our own. (This makes great literary fodder, but this would be the nightmare of an introvert like myself).

We grow and learn as Lewycka's characters do, making the transition from adolescence to adulthood, or sometimes budging slightly from one stubborn view to another. The subtle changes in characters are often the most natural and truthful to real life, and there are plenty to behold between these pages.

I can do nothing but heartily recommend these delightful books, and anything Marina Lewycka will write from hereonin. I eagerly and not so patiently await her next work, and just know that I will not be disappointed.

(It is also great that she seems to be painting a consistent world within her own books. Within "We Are All Made Of Glue", there was a vague reference made to "Two Caravans", and I almost died of a gleeful heart attack as my eyes graced the words and I reread it just to make certain. Small undertones of consistency and linkage, between two completely different works, so greatly rewards readers, and makes it all feel like some great, sometimes detached, long adventure.)






No comments:

Post a Comment