Friday 11 July 2014

The Library Book: A Book That Started It All Again For Me


To cut a long story short, when I was in late high school I was severely depressed. As a result of this, I had no idea what I actually wanted to be in life. I had vague ideas, like I wanted to be a writer, of the adult and picturebook kind, but I didn't make any steps towards this. With depression riddling my sluggish brain, I was sure I would be dead by twenty, and the laws of what I wanted to be didn't really apply to me.

(Think of how surprised I am to be here, almost 24, and writing this to you all!)

So unhappy was I between my home and school life that I dropped out of school, in an attempt to drop out of life completely. I drifted around (in a metaphorical sense) for a while, before looking at possible careers. I wanted to be a librarian in a sense, but I knew that if I couldn't survive high school, there is no way I could possibly survive university. So I went into childcare, like a lot of lost souls with a sense of compassion.

I loved my years in childcare, until I got too sick to continue. The children were all delightful, and I think I learned more about the world there than most other jobs would have taught me. At the end of the day, however, it was a little bit unsatisfying. I wanted to study, but I was suddenly sure I didn't want to do a diploma in childcare. I just couldn't think of anything attainable.

Meeting Peter changed my life, as I have recounted so many times before. He has changed and bettered it in a thousand small and not-so-small ways. He inspired me to want to go back to school as I had always wanted to do, and better yet, he gave me the stable home life that I needed to support me. His influence has been indescribable. If I dedicated a thousand blog posts to him, it still wouldn't do him justice.

I was just over half-way through a certificate in game design when I found the book "The Library Book", and I wish I could remember which library it was from! It was life changing. I borrowed more and more books about libraries before it finally began to click: I wanted to be a librarian, and not for the first time in my life.

To stumble upon the audiobook of this, half-way through a library diploma, brought upon a wave of nostalgia. This is the audiobook of the book that changed everything for me, and rekindled an old desire of mine.

I want to be a librarian for many reasons, and not just because I love books, or because the library has always been a sanctuary for bookish girls throughout the centuries. I love learning, and I love information. I love universal truths, and classic stories. I also want to serve my community, and help others continue to better themselves, just as I try to, too.

The library is a place of infinite self-betterment and wisdom, and I treasure every moment that I spend trying to pursue this dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment